The 3rd International Symposium on Symbiotic Intelligent Systems: “A New Era towards Responsible Robotics and Innovation”
The 3rd International Symposium on Symbiotic Intelligent Systems: “A New Era towards Responsible Robotics and Innovation” finished with a great success. Many thanks to everyone who participated despite the inconvenience caused by video conferencing.
|Date||November 19 – 20, 2020|
|Time||10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. (Japan Standard Time)|
See below for advanced preparations and precautions.
* Click here to download presentation abstracts.
|Fee||Free of charge|
|Language||English (Simultaneous English-Japanese interpretation is available.)|
|Registration||We stopped accepting applications.|
|Sponsor||Symbiotic Intelligent Systems Research Center, Institute for Open and Transdisciplinary Research Initiatives, Osaka University|
|Co-sponsors|| “Legal Beings: Electronic personhoods of artificial intelligence and robots in NAJIMI society, based on a reconsideration of the concept of autonomy,” RISTEX, JST
“An exploration of the principle of emerging interactions in spatiotemporal diversity,” CREST, JST
|Cooperation|| “Communicative intelligent systems towards a human-machine symbiotic society,” Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research of Innovative Areas
The Robotics Society of Japan
Day 1 (November 19)
|10:00 – 10:10||Takao Onoye (Osaka University, Vice-President)|
|10:10 – 10:30||Hiroshi Ishiguro (Osaka University)|
| Session 1 “Responsible Robotics and Innovation”
Chair: Minoru Asada (Osaka University)
|10:30 – 11:15||Ronald C. Arkin (Georgia Institute of Technology)
“Civilized Collaboration: Ethical architectures for enforcing legal requirements and mediating social norms in HRI”
|11:15 – 12:00||Atsuo Kishimoto (Osaka University)
“Towards responsible innovation: Establishment of the “ELSI Center” at Osaka University”
|12:00 – 13:00||Lunch break|
| Session 2 “Junior Researchers’ Presentations 1”
Chair: Jihoon Park (Osaka University)
|13:00 – 14:15||
|14:15 – 14:30||Break|
| Session 3 “Symbiotic Cognitive Systems”
Chair: Erhan Oztop (Osaka University)
|14:30 – 15:15||Hiroko Kamide (Nagoya University)
“Psychological evaluation of a sense of security on robots”
|15:15 – 16:00||Satoshi Kurihara (Keio University)
“Emergent approach for symbiotic framework in creative work”
|16:00 – 16:15||Break|
|16:15 – 17:00||Verena V. Hafner (Humboldt University of Berlin)
“Robots with a self”
Day 2 (November 20)
| Session 4 “Conversational AI”
Chair: Hiroshi Ishiguro (Osaka University)
|10:00 – 10:45||Tatsuya Kawahara (Kyoto University)
“Spoken dialogue system (SDS) for conversational android ERICA”
|10:45 – 11:30||Pascale Fung (The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology)
“Deeper conversational AI”
|11:30 – 12:45||Lunch break|
| Session 5 “Junior Researchers’ Presentations 2”
Chair: Jihoon Park (Osaka University)
|12:45 – 14:00||
|14:00 – 14:15||Break|
| Session 6 “Models and Rules of Communication”
Chair: Yuichiro Yoshikawa (Osaka University)
|14:15 – 15:00||Ryuichiro Higashinaka (Nagoya University)
“Integrating understanding and generation modules for adaptive dialogue systems”
|15:00 – 15:45||Hiroaki Sugiyama (NTT Communication Science Laboratories)
“Building and utilizing “personalities” for communicative intelligent systems”
|15:45 – 16:00||Break|
|16:00 – 16:45||Fumio Shimpo (Keio University)
“The principal Japanese AI and robot strategy −Significance and legal implications”
|16:45 – 17:00||Minoru Asada (Osaka University)|
- Each participant should have their own computer (PC, tablet, smartphone or other device), peripheral devices such as headphones, and a steady Internet environment. We are unable to address inquiries pertaining to computer settings, the Internet environment or other such matters.
- First time users of ZOOM should click here to download and install the app in advance (free of charge).
- In case you are unable to access the webinar, try reinstalling the most recent version of the app as this should potentially improve your problem.
- Each participant is responsible for the cost of Internet data communication (traffic) they incur during participation in the event.
- Use only one computer terminal (PC, tablet, smartphone or other device) per application.
- Refrain from taking photographs, video or making audio recordings of this event.
- During the event, participants’ cameras and microphones will automatically be turned off. Images of and sound/audio from participants will not be broadcast.
- Write your questions or comments in the Q&A window.
- For questions regarding this symposium, please contact the organizing committee at sisrec_symp_at_ams.eng.osaka-u.ac.jp (please change _at_ to @).